Monday, October 02, 2006

What did you say my blood pressure was?

I'm just a little stressed out right now. I have way too much to do in the next week and not nearly enough time to do it.

As I mentioned before, I'm working on a "mini" conference that is happening alongside the dedication of the George McGovern library. There's still too much of that up in the air and now my national office has gotten wind of what we're doing out here on the prairie and wants a piece of the action. Which is good....and bad. They're now sending a staff person and I'll have to figure out what to do with her for three days. I hate it when people try to "help."

I'm exhausted to begin with because I worked three Twins games at the Metrodome over the weekend. Huh? Did I just say I worked at the Metrodome? Yep. It's a sort of slave labor kind of thing. The company that runs the concessions here uses "volunteers" from non-profit groups to come in and run their stands in the Metrodome and the Xcel Center (in St. Paul). They then pay the organization for each "volunteer" who works a shift on their behalf. The Manchild sings in the Minnesota Boychoir. The Boychoir is touring Australia this summer. It costs A LOT of money to send him, so I'm working shifts to pay off his tour costs.

Although it's really tiring to work the concessions (you're on your feet the whole time), it was fun to be there this weekend, because...the Twins WON THE DIVISION yesterday and I got to be there. Normally, I'm not a huge sports fan, I'm sort of one of those who come on board when things get exciting. But, of all the teams here, the Twins have always been my favorite. They won their last World's Series in '91, right after we moved to Minnesota, so it's been fun to follow them. Plus, you can knit at a Twins game. Definate plus. We go to games at least once a year, because the Boychoir sings the national anthem to open a game at least once a year. So, it was fun to be there yesterday. If you haven't been following, the decision as to whether it would be the Detroit Tigers or the Twins wasn't determined until literally the last minute. The Twins had to win yesterday and Detroit had to lose. Both games were played at about the same time, so after the Twins game was over (they won) everyone stayed in the dome and watched the Detroit/Kansas City game on the big monitors. The Detroit/KC game was a real cliffhanger, going to 12 innings, when KC finally won. I now know the real meaning of the phrase "the crowd went nuts." I think I lost a bit of hearing yesterday.

Needless to say, there hasn't been a lot of knitting the last week. There has, been a little though. The fingerless mitts are almost done, and Saturday night I started a Lizard Ridge. I completely love this afghan. I love the color, I love the texture, it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I have five more skeins of Kureyon, but I'm thinking about seeing if I can swap some of them for different colors at the Knitalong page. I think that to get the full color effect I want to use a different colorway for each one. Swapping seems to be an easy way to get some new colors.

I'll try to post pictures soon, but likely not until after next weekend, when I can finally collapse. Back to the rat race...

1 comment:

Flan said...

Wow! I can't imagine how loud it must have been in the Dome on Sunday. I was at an Ultimate Frisbee game keeping track of the score by calling a friend.

Now if they could just win in this series, that would help. (I think the downturn in productivity in Minnesota this week must be enormous with two noon games.)

Thanks for all the local spinning information. Once I get past the election (I'm in politics), I'm going to try and get connected!