Thursday, August 24, 2006

Ok, spinning is tougher than I thought...

I love spinning, really I do, but I thought I was getting pretty good and all of the sudden my stuff really sucks!

Evidently I'm not spinning it tight enough so that it keeps breaking on the bobbin. First it was too tight, then it was fairly decent, now it's too loose. Aarrgh! It doesn't help that I just got back from the state fair (a Minnesota cultural phenomenon worthy of its own post) where I saw, not only gorgeous handspun, but a charming woman who was demonstrating the perfect technique for spinning. Watching her, I think I know what I'm doing wrong -- I think I'm letting it feed onto the bobbin too fast and not getting enough twist. Practice, practice. I think it will help when I get my own wheel. Right now I'm borrowing two -- one really isn't working and I really don't like the other one that much.

Now to a report on my trip to WEBS. It really is an amazing store. I also do a little bit of weaving so it was interesting to be in a store with so much weaving stuff. I spent most of my time in the back of the store which is where they have the discounted stuff. It was sort of like spending the day at the garage sale of your dreams...cheap, gorgeous yarn everywhere you look! I spent more than I should but I can't believe how much yarn I got. The stash was enhanced considerably. Pretty much blew the yarn budget for the next several months. Besides, I'm saving for a spinning wheel!

I'm trying something new and signed up for a roving swap. You can find it at http://spinningrovingswap.blogspot.com I've wanted to try a swap before, but this one actually seems manageable. Seems like a good one to cut my teeth on, so to speak.

I'm off to try to figure out how to add a button to my blog...

No comments: