Saturday, September 02, 2006

Spinning Roving Swap Questionnaire

Ok, here are my answers to the spinning roving swap questionnaire:

1) How long have you been spinning? About 2 months.

2) Are you a beginner, novice, or experienced spinner? A pretty good beginner. My teacher said I was a "quick study."

3) Do you spin on a drop spindle or wheel, or both? So far I only spin on a wheel. I can sorta see the attraction of a spindle for really portable spinning, but am trying to hone my skill on a wheel right now. Might be fun to try a spindle sometime in the future.

4) What types and weights of drop spindles (or what type of spinning wheel(s) ) do you currently own? I have a borrowed Ashford Traveler (which must go home soon) and a brand new Kromski Minstrel which is still in pieces in the garage in the process of being stained and finished.

5) What type of fibers have you spun with before? I have just spun with some pretty basic stuff, mostly a corriedale sliver. I've also spun (with some success) a merino, angora, rayon blend. I have a superwash wool mill end roving that is giving me fits, but I'm gradually getting better with it.

6) What fibers do you prefer to spin with? Hard to say since I'm so new, but I love the corriedale because it's SO easy. It's in a light silver so I've also had fun dyeing it.

7) What fibers do you dislike? Haven't met a (natural) fiber I didn't like, at least so far. I prefer softer ones rather than scratchy, but then who doesn't? :)

8) Do you prefer natural colored fibers, or handpainted/dyed fiber? I absolutely love handpainted/dyed stuff, but the natural is fun too because then I get to play with the dyes.

9) Would you prefer all one type of roving or smaller amounts of different types to sample? Wow, that's tough. Maybe divide it so that half is all one kind and the other half is made up of smaller samples. Does that make sense?

10) What are you favorite colors? I tend to like rich, vibrant colors rather than pastels. I like fall/foresty colors (deep rusts, greens, earthy browns, pumpkiny sorts of colors). On the flip side I like blues, purples, greens, golds, too. I also like this gorgeous stuff. The picture is from See Eunny Knit: (http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/). I just show it here cause I think it's beautiful and is a great example of what I'd like to be able to do someday. Wow, she's good.

11) What colors do you dislike? Pastels. Colors which do not appear in nature.

12) What would you like to do with your handspun yarn, or what do you plan to do with it? (pattern clarification here). Dunno. Maybe socks or mittens? You can never have too many pairs of mittens here in Minnesota. I'm into fair isle right now and would also like to try a headband. Maybe a fair isle headband and matching mittens, but I'm open to just about anything. And for heaven's sake, feel free to send me a freebie pattern!

13) What spinning projects are you currently working on? Putting my new wheel together! Right now I'm mostly practicing. I'm spinning the corriedale and the merino blend and trying to spin the superwash -- I'll figure out what to do with 'em once I get a bunch done.

14) Do you have a wishlist? Roving, roving and more roving. I have my eye on a couple of spinning books: Yarn to Dye For and Color in Spinning. I'm also looking for a basic, "how to" spinning book like Hands On Spinning or something similar). Dyes. I only have four colors right now (Country Classics "pumpkin," "rust," "chestnut," and "kiwi."). It might be fun to have some more.

15) What are your other favorite hobbies? Are there other hobbies? Pretty much all I do these days is knitting, spinning, dyeing, weaving, pretty much in that order. Oh wait, I also like to garden, I have a big perennial garden just outside my front window. When I start getting too pale, I go outside and garden. Someday I want to have a dye garden and learn how to do natural dyeing.

16) Do you have any allergies (pet, smoke, food, fiber,etc...)? Nope. Well, sulfa drugs but I don't think that will come into play here... And, as someone else said, "smoke is bad." I agree, smoke is really, really bad.

17) What is your preferred shipping method (USPS, UPS, Fed Ex)? Doesn't really matter. Use whichever is cheapest.

That's it, hope it's helpful to my Secret Pal!

No comments: